Skip to main content

My Experience in Sales : Comic Alley

I like trying out new things, so this one time I decided to try out being a sales lady. Which was surprisingly fun. Probably because everyone in the store I worked at was nice and helpful. Even the branch manager was very friendly, and he didn’t really pressure me or anything. He did reassured me that I could do better every time.

The only thing that sucked about it was Minimum Wage. Yep, I don't know anyone who's excited about just getting minimum payment. Especially since it involves you working in a store for about 13 hours a day. Just standing up and trying to convince someone to buy stuff. We had to practically shout outside the store and telling them to visit. It was honestly embarrassing at first, but I got used to it. Eventually, I just didn’t care if people stared. I guess it doesn’t make it easier since I had bright pink hair that time (I used to color my hair a lot). Almost every customer I greeted wanted to touch my hair to check if it’s real or not. Even the manager had me wear this Sakura vest and head band from Naruto this one time. That’s how pink my hair was... I remember while one of my co-workers are doing the routine outside the store, this old lady came by and complained about how loud he was and how he should be a little quiet and that it’s hurting her ears. Oh boy~

Anyways, the uniforms suck, by the way (if you could actually call it uniform). Since I’m a trainee, I’m required to wear just a white polo shirt and jeans that needs to have their pockets sewed shut and some comfortable sneakers or something.

Another thing that suck about it is, when it was time for our lunch break, I wasn’t expecting to be eating alone… The other staffs in the store weren’t allowed to go on breaks at the same time, because we all have to take shifts, and since there's no lounge area for staff or whatever you call it, I had to go to the food court near the store and eat alone... It made me feel a little sad and awkward since I really don’t like crowded places. And I just get tons of stares, which is uncomfortable.
I was hoping I had a little company considering the fact that I work with quite a few people in the area… Every time it was my break, I was just on my phone; trying to avoid people’s stare and just munching on Takoyaki.


Before you consider working in sales, remember the possible things:

  •          You will most likely be eating alone.
  •          You cannot be shy in this line of work.
  •          You will be standing the whole day (Don’t forget your comfortable shoes).
  •          Consider the possibilities that they might put you in a branch farther away from your place.
  •          Minimum Wage (Yay.)







I quit sales since I thought it wasn't worth it for me. Don’t misunderstand. My time with them was nice and fun, like I said. I do feel a little disappointed in myself, but you got to do what you got to do. I was placed in a branch which was around 2 hours or more away from me, depending on the traffic… So in my head I was thinking about the time I needed to wake up every morning just so I don’t catch the horrible traffic that happens very early. Not to mention the multiple transportation I had to take to get there and if I take the cab, it would be too expensive, and I would most likely be late every day. Oh, and let’s not forget about the over pass that I have to walk in the heat every day and every night just to get there. The fact that I just get paid very little, it was honestly stressful. I didn't have time to do anything else… Some of my co-workers wanted me to go out with them and just chill, but in my situation, I just couldn’t. I need to get back home and get some rest and wake up really early in the morning for another day of me doing the same thing over and over again.




Do I have to mention that some customers actually tried to hit on me on the job? Not that I have anything against it. I do appreciate that people find me attractive, but I'm not really the type of person to mix work and pleasure at the same time... Also one of them is already married with kids and suddenly trying to invite me to a movie (like WHAA-!?), and I'm just there standing with a stupid expression on my face wanting to shoo him away, but since I can't really be mean to a customer, I end up telling him "I have work.".

So far though, the experience was memorable. Everyone made me feel like a family. Everyone was so nice to me. It always seemed like they wanted everyone to feel close to each other.
To all the people who are working in sales and such, kudos to you! You guys are very hard workers, which people should really notice and appreciate more.

And to all the people who gets annoyed or wonder why the sales person is just following you around and kind of stalking you while you’re choosing an item, remember this… It’s their job to do so. It’s required and they will get lectured if they’re not persistent enough (ha-ha).



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pretty Looks Review

Girls know the struggle of having the hassle to do their eyebrow makeup.  It takes more effort than it looks... Having a steady hand, taking a few minutes to have it on fleek and the frustration to redo it every time we make a mistake.  Since I don't really want to wake up so early every time just to do my makeup, I decided to try out this whole semi-permanent eyebrow thing that has been going viral through social media. Now, I know what you're thinking. This might not be a good idea. People have been saying that once you grow old, that semi tattoo would look bad or something. Honestly, I haven't met anyone who has complained about it, and I've seen quite a few elderly women going to the store and having their eyebrows retouched. And I know it's a little scary to make a decision that would be permanent, but I'm telling you guys right now, I have no regrets and I love what they did with my eyebrows and it takes me barely any effort at all to do them now.